Stuart Dyer's picture

Hi Team,

I have a patching system that will handle patches of our new observium Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) appliance, how do i disable automatic updates ?

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

You can just disable the cron job. You'll find it here: /etc/cron.d/cron-apt

To disable it, either just remove it completely:

rm /etc/cron.d/cron-apt

Or edit it and ensure all the lines are commented out (i.e. start with a '#').

Stuart Dyer's picture

If I remove ce the cron will it block Turnkey Linux updates, the updates I can patch with my system are Debian only and not any turnkey specific ones
Jeremy Davis's picture

Ah ok, right you are. Well the way it works is that it runs apt with only the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/security.sources.list enabled. So if you comment out the Debian repos in that file (or just remove the lines), that should achieve what you are after.

You'll likely want to put those Debian security repo lines into another file. Either add them to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sources.list (just add them on the bottom) or put them in their own file (just a text file, with a '.list' file extension). If you don't include those lines somewhere else, when you run apt, you won't be getting packages from the Debian security repo. That may or may not be an issue with your patching system, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Stuart Dyer's picture

Hi Jeremy,

Below is what it looks like now ? is that ok ?

Jeremy Davis's picture

Hi Stuart, it appears that something might have gone wrong when you posted as I can't see anything (there was an empty code box which I removed).

If you were trying to copy/paste text, please try again. If you were trying to paste a screenshot, unfortunately that is a PITA on our forums. Please feel free to just edit your OP and attach the screenshots there. Let me know you've done that and I can include it in your post.

Add new comment