Sign up free to TurnKey Hub
Amazon EC2, simplified: TurnKey Hub is a web service we've developed which makes it easier to launch and manage TurnKey Linux appliances in the Amazon EC2 cloud.
For more details click here.
There are many advantages to using Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud) to deploy TurnKey Linux appliances on-demand:
- Fast: launch an appliance into a high performance cloud in just minutes.
- Convenient: No additional hardware or software is required.
- Cost effective: starts from less than $0.1/hour (9¢) and you only pay for what you use.
Nothing to download: this is especially useful with larger appliances.
- Simple: Basic usage can be managed from a web browser.
Powerful: can be managed and automated from a powerful API.
TurnKey AMIs optimized for EC2
TurnKey Amazon Machine Images are specially optimized for EC2:
- EBS auto-mounting support: custom EBSmount mechanism automatically mounts EBS devices when attached.
- Support for automating EC2 instance setup: via user-data scripts mechanism.
- Para-Virt kernel, no ramdisk: images are configured to use Amazon's para-virt kernell, which chains into the appliance kernel. This provides kernel upgrades and super fast booting.
- Automatic APT configuration on boot: saves bandwidth costs by using the Ubuntu package archive located in the deployed region for maximum performance (bandwidth is free inside a region).
- AWS SSH key support: instances that are launched with a key-pair will be configured accordingly.
- SSH host key fingerprints displayed in system log: verification of server to prevent man-in-the-middle (mitm) attacks.
- Appliance pre-configuration via Hub deployment: allows customization of the root password, database password and appliance specific configuration (admin password, email, domain).
- Randomly generated root password (when not using the Hub): is set on first boot, and displayed in the system log.
- Randomly generated mysql/postgres passwords (when not using the Hub): the MySQL root and/or PostgreSQL postgres passwords are set to to the same random password as root.
- EC2 metadata python library and CLI: used internally, but useful for advanced users. (learn more)