Hello all,

I tried to install kubuntu last night - it eas successfully found and appeared to install.  However when the system re-booted, it came up with a Blue/Green GUI lapp login screen wanting a User Login and ID.  The only login and id that was set up was the one created (root) when the LAPP appliance was installed.

I found where/how to add another user using Webmin and did so. However I still could not get past the GUI login screen. I got an error kstartupconfig4 does not exist or failed. The error code is 3. Check your install

So, I uninstalled --purge and proceeded to install the ubuntu-desktop.  With Ubuntu desktop, I got the same login page and after several re-boots, got it to accept a login, but I get errors

"Could not update the ICEauthority file /home/.ICEauthority"

"There is a problem with the configuration server. (/usr/lib/libconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with a status of 256)"

"Nautilus could not create the following required folders: /home/Desktop, /home/.nautilus  Before running nautilus please create these folders, or set permissions such that Nautilus can create them"

I get the background for the Ubuntu Desktop, but nothing else. Cntr Alt Del give a shutdown window.

Can anyone tell me how to get a GUI running correctly?  I am a newbie at Linux but Google is my friend as are forums such as this! Any suggestions would be appreciated!  I would prefer to use kubtunu desktop BTW.

Thank you

Tim

Forum: 
Tags: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

And dumped Ubuntu desktop since 10.04 so not sure how much use I can be. Having said that I have previously successfully installed LXDE on top of TKL (although from memory that may have been on the older version?)

IIRC I just used the root user to login with and it worked fine. For security/stability purposes I did end up adding another user (and also installed sudo so they could do stuff) but don't recall any issues.

The error "Nautilus could not create the following required folders: /home/Desktop, /home/.nautilus  Before running nautilus please create these folders, or set permissions such that Nautilus can create them" suggets to me that perhaps the user's home folder doesn't exist or has inccorrect permissions. The default user home should be /home/<username> and should be own by the user.

Kevin Cann's picture

When you create a user with adduser, and use the command line options to make a home directory and what not, it actually copies .bash profile files over to the new user setup and sets all the permissions right.

I don't know if webmin does all that stuff right. Maybe creating the new user with adduser and setting all the otpions will let you login correcctly with KDM. Don't know. Just a possible suggestion.

Kevin Cann

Add new comment