techpop's picture

Longtime user of the tunkey lamp appliances.. wanted to post some help for anyone who wants to test out upgrading php 5.2 to php 5.4 on turnkey-lamp-11.1-lucid-x86:

You can just run to following:

apt-get update
echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ondrej/php5-oldstable/ubuntu lucid main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sources.list
echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ondrej/php5-oldstable/ubuntu lucid main"  >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sources.list
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys E5267A6C
apt-get update
apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5

Thanks again for a GREAT product!

Forum: 
Tags: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

And no doubt others may find this helpful.

However I would be a little wary of considering this a long term solution:

• Firstly, how reputable is this guy? From what I can see in this instance he seems fully legit but without further research we are only taking his word for it. Without examining the code we do not know if there is some (inadvertent or purposefully placed) backdoor in the code. Obviously that is true always, but the risk is greatly reduced if using the 'official' repos.
  • (To me at least) there is no clear indication of how any future security backports/patches/updates will be handled by this PPA. In my experience PPAs often do not include backported security patches. Instead they often bump the version (with a newer version which includes any security fixes). Newer versions may not be compatible with your code. That may not be the case in this particular PPA but is generally true in my experience...
  • Even if security patches are backported (reducing the chances that they will break your code), how often will they be released? How quickly will they be included?
  • And leading on from that; even if you can be assured that security updates won't break your code and will be released quickly and regularly, they won't be included in the TKL auto security updates. Unless of course you configure it so they are.
  • With less than a years security updates remaining on Lucid you will still need to consider your upgrade options for the future.

So whilst this may be a great option to keep things going for now I would recommend that you start planning your upgrade path... FYI TKL v13.0 is based on Debian Wheezy (aka 7) which includes php5.4 by default.

It is unclear at this time, exactly how long Wheezy will be supported for, but the Debian Jessie (aka 8) freeze is proposed for 5th Nov 2014, with the 5th Feb 2015 appearing to be the (currently proposed) date when the repos will be frozen solid (with a release anticipated soon after). [source]

Under current Debian policy 'oldstable' (which Wheezy will be once Jessie is released) is supported for 12mths after release of stable. So it would be reasonable to expect Wheezy to be supported at least until Feb 2016.

However if the plans of the Debian security team come to fruition then Squeeze (aka 6) will receive LTS for an additional ~2 years (i.e a total of 5 years from release). Again, if this is successful and carried forward to Wheezy then it is possible that Wheezy will receive security support until 2018! :) [Source]

Add new comment