Ken Robinson's picture

Ok, so now I really went and did it! This starts my offical run down the rabbit hole into TKLDev'dom.

I have added it to the Appliance Candidates page and created a RT: Request Tracker whiteboard, and created a github repo to keep the code and discussions. Not sure if we should keep the discussion here or on github as issues. 

If you would like to help out with this submit an issue on the guthub page  and tag it with help wanted. 

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Looks like you've set yourself up nicely ready for a good start.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and I'm watching your GitHub repo so I'll see how you're going. If I can offer anything I'll jump in when I can but also feel free to ask if you get stuck. I probably won't have all the answers, but I'm more than happy to put in my 2c! :)

Ken Robinson's picture

Jeremy, 

What does the core devs normally do for app that has a package (RT 4.0) that is a little behind the main stream. (RT 4.2) I could script the install of the tar ball for the main stream release 4.2 or would be very easy with apt-get if I use the older packaged version. Thoughts on that?

Also I am leaning on a LAPP server as a starting point for and RT appliance. I like apache for it's easy of admin via webmin, and I side with PostgreSQL for anything other than just a data driven website. Your thoughts?

I would like to make a choice and start building out an RT app. But I would like some feed back. Also if you knoe of some others that would see it a diff away I would like to hear it. Thanks!

Regards,

Ken  
":0)

http://www.github.com/DocCyblade

Jeremy Davis's picture

But it's not a hard and fast rule.

The main reason why packaged is preferable is because the software will then receive auto security updates (as they become available from the Debian repos). It also makes backups smaller and hence quicker.

However there are legitimate reasons why you would install from upstream even if there is a pre-packaged version:

• The package is broken or contains show-stopper bugs (security bugs are always patched but functional bugs often aren't).
  • The software is under heavy development and users expect to be using the latest stable release. WordPress is a good example of this one.
  • The packaged version is really old. This sometimes happens if the package maintainer isn't very active.
  • The packaged version is missing important features that have been included in the newer upstream version.
  • Probably others that I can't think of OTTOMH right now...

So really the decision is up to you. As per above, I would be inclined to install the packaged version from the repos and see how it goes. If it looks ok then run with that. It might also be worth asking over on the other thread where it was requested as they might have some input. Bottom line is that you'll probably want to provide some rationale if you don't use the version from the repos.

LAPP sounds like a fine base. I personally tend towards LAMP; but only because I am much more familiar working with MySQL not because it is any better. Actually TBH there have been some discussions and suggestions that wherever possible we should use PostgreSQL as a backend DB rather than MySQL. From what I have heard it's actually far superior DB. And it's a true open source product; as opposed to crippleware as it seems MySQL is becoming under Oracle... Bottom line is though that if you have the option it's your call.

Ken Robinson's picture

Thanks for the feedback! I am going to stick with lapp (i already started that) and going to start with 4.0 the packaged version. I also started a that one too on github. Wanted to get started and not wait too long before some of these questions had an answer. 

I'll post to see if anyone following has a thought like you suggested. Thanks for the 2Cents :-)

Regards,

Ken  

Ken Robinson's picture

So, I'll be ready to test a TKL RT install in about 2-3 weeks. I am looking for people to test and give me feed back. So please post here if you would be willing to help test.

Also, I am looking for a good place to host the ISO files. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Ken  

Add new comment