Hans Harder's picture

I have used the Core 9.02 images for some while.

Is there a way to upgrade it to the 9.10 version ?

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Unfortunately not an official way as of yet but it is something the Devs are planning (see this thread and this poll).

So the options are to continue with your current 2009.02 install or manually rebuild your server on top of the 2009.10 release (hope you made some notes!)

I probably can't help you but if you provide some more details (of what you've installed on top of it), perhaps Alon and Liriz (or someone else here) could assist?

Good luck.

Hans Harder's picture

I will continue with my 9.02 version (yes and I kept detailed notes)

Also I always use 2 disks, 1 systemdisk (Turnkey) and a seperate datadisk where all application data gets stored. That way I can make a new systemdisk, test things out and if satisfied I can use it with my data

Its more to know some details what kind of improvements/changes (f.i. in webmin) they made and if I can manually apply them in some way (if needed)

Currently I used the core 9.02 for building a base image for vmware with everything extra installed/configured for out environment (ssh keys installed,certificate generated, vmwaretools,etc.). So I will build me a new one based on the 9.10 version and use that as base for the newer vm's

QUOTE:  ech`echo xiun|tr nu oc|sed 'sx\([sx]\)\([xoi]\)xo un\2\1 is xg'`ol

Jeremy Davis's picture

Good point re details of what has changed.

Hey Alon and Liraz, could we have changelog/bugfix reports for version updates please? Even if you can't be bothered back tracking for this release, perhaps you could do it for the next one? Or have I missed something and they're here somewhere already?

You wouldn't need to include standard packages from the Ubuntu repos (as they would be installed by apt-get upgrade from an older release anyway). But it would be nice to know what advantage there may be to doing a "full" upgrade (ie installing from the new.iso rather than just running apt-get upgrade). Perhaps there may be times in the future where the features of new versions are worth worrying about, or the minor bugs are worth upgrading away from. From what I've seen here so far, you're pretty onto solving major bugs asap with a new release - but still it may be handy for people to know which versions may have been broken.

Also good idea Hans, using two disks for your install. I have used Linux desktops in a config like that but never really considered doing that with a server (not sure why?!)

Alon Swartz's picture

We release html'zed changelogs as updates for all appliances, which are also subscribable RSS feeds.

Additionally, text versions of the changelogs are available on http://releases.turnkeylinux.org together with package manifests (which can be diffed between versions) and gpg signatures for verification.

For reference:

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Jeremy Davis's picture

I must admit I was a little surprised when I couldn't see them because you guys do everything so professionally (although I didn't actually do a site search - I just used the old fashioned eye method). Could I humbly suggest a link to them from the appliance page?

e.g. a link to www.turnkeylinux.org/updates/new-turnkey-core-version-200910 provided on www.turnkeylinux.org/core perhaps just down the bottom, or maybe you could make the version number (at the top) a clickable link that goes to the pretty html page?

Thanks

Alon Swartz's picture

On each appliance page there is an "updates" block in the left sidebar.
I do like your idea though of linking the version number to the release announcement as well, I'll email Liraz about it.
Jeremy Davis's picture

Thanks for that. I missed it. I had seen the little RSS feed icon but assumed that it merely announced a new version (not provided the full changelog) - silly me! Oh well I guess if I missed it there are probably others who did too.

Liraz Siri's picture

I've just added a changelog link to all appliances. Hopefully this will help prevent confusion in the future. Many thanks to JedMeister for pointing that out.

Add new comment