Jason Pursian's picture

Hello -

I've installed the acl package on some of the appliances, and the icon appears in the webmin file manager (next to EXT), and whenever I select a file/folder, pressing the EXT or ACL icon gives the error:

"The filesystem / does not support ACLs" or "The filesystem / does not support EXT attributes".

Any advice?  I'd like to use this through webmin.

Forum: 
Tags: 
Richard Ingram's picture

I, too, am having difficulty with this. No matter what filesystem I format my drives with, they do not seem to support ACL or EXT attributes. I'm working from within a Windows environment and need the granular control of ACLs. Has anybody come up with a fix or a workaround?
Don Sanderson's picture

Assuming you are using ext3 or ext4 filesystems they are capable of supporting ACL and EXT.

These must be enabled in the /etc/fstab file.

Line one below shows a 'stock' fstab line as TKL set it up for my hard drive / partition.

The second line shows it edited with acl and user_xattr options enabled.

UUID=3ff4fd5b-e7f8-496c-8f51-7111642cb0f2 /   ext4    errors=remount-ro 0   1
UUID=3ff4fd5b-e7f8-496c-8f51-7111642cb0f2 /   ext4    acl,user_xattr,errors=remount-ro 0   1

You must reboot, or issue a mount -a command, to enable these options. I suggest the reboot.

CAUTION: Have a boot disk/CD handy in case you make an error, an error in /etc/fstab will cause your machine to not be able to mount your hard drive at all!!

AN ALTERNATE way to do this is to issue the command:

tune2fs -o user_xattr,acl /dev/fs_device

Where fs_device is the partition you wish to add these features to as default boot options.

This eliminates having to mess with /etc/fstab.

You can verify these setting with:

tune2fs -l /dev/fs_device

Look for:

Default mount options:    user_xattr acl

Don Sanderson's picture

After downloading the Webmin ACL module from here:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/webmin-fsacls/webmin-fsacls/web...

And installing it the EXT and ACL entries appeared in Webmin File Manager but I had the same problem as above. However a new entry (File ACLs) under the 'System' menu in Webmin seems to work OK.

This is an EXT4 file system which may be an issue with Webmin, I am checking on that.

Don Sanderson's picture

See: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3148689&group_i...

Webmin File Manager has an issue with ext4 file systems and EXT/ACL's, this is slated to be fixed in Webmin 1.540.

The workaround in the link above and the ACL Module mentioned in my previous post work fine.

Richard Ingram's picture

This is fantastic! I'm somewhat new to the inner workings of Linux and am replacing a failing Windows 2003 Server for login and file server. Your information has gotten me past many hours of frustration. I'm setting up a virtual domain now to test everything out. Thanks.

Add new comment