Ian's picture

Hello,

I am trying to configure a simple home NAS. I installed the TKL fileserver appliance on a system with the following drives:

1 x IDE 30gig (TKL installed)

2 x 500gb SATAII

The  SATA drives are connected to a PCI Sata CARD. I have configured the two drives, via the card bios, into a RAID1 setup.

My questions are:

1) Can Linux normally see the hardware RAID1 array? When executing lshw -C disk I see both drives seperatly. Do I have to use software RAID?

2) Has anyone gone through the processes of adding additional drives to the fileserver appliance and documented it? If so can I see the docs?

Any help would be appreciated. I am trying my hardest to learn to use linux for this project. I am still cloudy with mounting drives.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Forum: 
Ian's picture

Hi Rick, This is the card I am using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124003 I am going to try and go software raid in web,in like you said. Linux appears to be seeing these drives as individual Sata ports so it may be a windows based card like you said.

Ian's picture

Interesting. I am learning a lot here. Thank you for the link and your time. I appreciate your help.

When I go to create the filesystem on my new raid (/dev/md0) I am not given an option for NTFS. I need to set this raid up on Samba shared to Windows machines? Did you have a situation like this at the Non-profit?

Jeremy Davis's picture

Is this machine going to be dual boot (ie be able to boot into Windows as well as TKL)? Otherwise if you only plan to connect to it via SMB (Samba/Windows file shares) then the filesystem format is irrelevant.

I currently run a fileserver which uses the native default Linux FS (ext4) and WIndows guests connect fine to the shares.

Add new comment