Mike's picture

Hey, so far have the Turnkey Fileserver up & running fine on an old 120 GBs IDE drive.  Now, I want to add a 1 TB drive (SATA) to store the data exclusively, with the option of running other drives at a later date for RAID backup.  I installed a VANTEC 6-port SATA II 150 PCI Host Card w/RAID (model UGT-ST310R) so I can add the 1 TB drive, but I am unable to "see" the drive via webmin (although as a relative Linux newbie I may be missing things).  Also, is there a way to ensure that I keep all the file server data on the 1 TB drive (so I can keep it insulated from the drive running the File Server) or is this just a remnant of old Windows OS thinking and stupid.

I am aware that the PCI RAID card is probably a software card and Windows drivers dependent (as per a previous post here), but short of installing mdmadmin for Linux software RAID, can't I just use the drive as a single entity before I delve into the world of RAID?  Or am I going about this all wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Afflerbach

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

But to use your SATA HDD as a filestore should be pretty easy. It may be possible with Webmin but personally I'd just use the commandline. There are a couple of ways to go but the easiest IMO would be to just mount your new HDD as the filestore (/srv). I can't remember the commands OTTOMH but google should help you out there. Just remember that TKL v11.x is based on Ubuntu 10.04/Lucid Server. I haven't tested this process but it should work. If you have data already on there and/or config you don't want to lose make sure you do a backup first - just in case (should be fine but it pays to be careful when you are working on the filesystem).

Basically you'll need to format the drive, I'd recommend ext4 (I'd just make it one big partition). Then temporarily mount it somewhere (like /mnt) and copy the contents of /srv. There is a switch you can use with the cp (copy) command which will maintain attributes including permissions. Unmount the drive again, delete the contents of /srv and mount your new drive there. You will also need to add an entry to fstab so it will automount on boot.

As I said a bit of googling should give you all the commands, but if you get stuck post back and I'll try to help you out.

Add new comment