Andrew Angell's picture

I've got a simple LAMP stack setup locally to use for a test server. I've got a few virtual hosts already configured and they were working fine except for some permissions issues I was having because of the mod_php handler.

To fix this I followed this guide to install SuPHP: http://www.binarytides.com/blog/install-suphp-on-ubuntu-linux/

Everything went exactly like the guide shows, but now when I try to load a PHP page in any of my current sites I get an Internal Server Error and it won't load.

On my production server I have WHM/Cpanel (sometimes Plesk) and I can actually switch back and forth between the two pretty easily. When I'm on the regular Apache mode I have permissions issues, when I switch to SuPHP (CGI) I don't have the issues. My sites never stop loading, though.

Here, I can see two separate php.ini config files.

- /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini (Configuration for mod_php)
- /etc/php5/cgi/php.ini (Configuration for scripts run via CGI)

So it seems like maybe my current sites are still looking at the mod_php version instead of my new CGI version..?? I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not but I can't think of any other reason these wouldn't be working. Unfortunately, I'm not finding a simple way to switch this in Webmin like I have with WHM/Cpanel or Plesk.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Forum: 
Andrew Angell's picture

Turns out /etc/suphp/suphp.conf simply needed to be updated to reflect my home directory as the docroot.

It had the following...

docroot=/var/www:${HOME}/public_html

So I changed that to...

docroot=${HOME}

and now things are working as expected...for the most part.  phpMyAdmin still won't load correctly, and it actually just downloads a file now rather than load anything.

Add new comment