Jason's picture

Help! Just finished installing the Turnkey LDAP appliance. I access the LDAP login page via a web browser, but it won't let me log in. For testing, I kept the default example.com domain.

On the login page, for Login DN, I have cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com

For the password, I'm using the password I set up for admin during installation.

The error I keep getting is Invalid credentials (49) for user and Invalid Username or Password

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

BUt perhaps keeping the example.com domain is the problem? You could try with something like 'test.local' as you domain and see how that goes...

Ric Moore's picture

I flunked sendmail class when my machine failed to forward to the next machine. The exercise was for the 1st student's machine to send an email to the next student and his machine would forward to the next, until it came back to the first student. I was the weak link and got tossed off the island!

So, this would be a GREAT topic for a video! 12 years later and I still don't know how I botched that exercise up, which was our final exam. :) Ric

kaktux's picture

Hi there,

i am trying my first LDAP steps - and ran into the same problem. I cant - whatever it try, whichever tutorial i follow - connect to the turnkey openldap Server.

I installed the server - with domain ldap.mydomain.de - and set the admin password.

Now i created a virtual machine using ubunt 20,04 -> and i want to set this machine to login via ldap to the turnkey server.

I tried about 10 different tutorials on the net - some differ in the packages you have to install, some in the files you have to edit - but none of them work.

I can connect to the server with Jxplorer and ldapsearch (

ldapsearch -x -b 'dc=ldap,dc=mydomain,dc=de' -D'cn=admin,dc=ldap,dc=mydomain,dc=de' -H ldap://192.168.5.10 -W

but thats it - i didnt get to work the login through the ubuntu client.

Did anyone here successfully create a client that connects to the turnkey openldap server and could share a howto?

kaktux's picture

i got a working solution - i posted my howto in a new thread.

Add new comment