Peter Spier's picture

I'm a bit of a newbie to EC2 but I've read through documentation and searched forums and can't seem to get my samba share running.  

my EC2 instance public IP is 50.112.119.183

Everything appears to be configured properly but smb connection requests just time out.  Is there something obvious I'm missing?

I'm running "File Server - Simple Network Attached Storage".

Everything works fine with AjaXplorer...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

It's just not meant to be used that way, and despite the fact that there are usernames/accounts, the data itself is transferred in the open (i.e. unencrypted) and so is vulnerable to being intercepted. So I would highly recommend that you rethink your approach...

Personally I would look at secure FTP - either SFTP (FTP over SSH) or FTPS (FTP over SSL/TLS). There are many software solutions that can be used to connect using (secure) FTP (including an 'experimental' SFTP Windows Explorer plugin which I have tested briefly and found to be fine). There is also some software called SSHFS which has fairly functional Windows GUI port which I have been using for 6 months or so (and although there are some bugs, it's generally quite reliable).

The other (secure) option is to set up a VPN tunnel and then connect to SMB/CIFS/Samba through that. 

Having said all of that if you are hell-bent and/or don't care and/or it doesn't matter if the data is intercepted (and copied and/or modified) then AFAIK you can just open the relevant SMD/CIFS port(s) in the AWS security profile (AWS's firewall) then I would imagine that it should work...

Add new comment