sts098's picture

First, I wish to say how terrific the Turnkey Linux is. 

I am running a number of LAMP stacks dating back several years.  These have been operating flawlessly.  I am considering updating some of the older VM's.  I can determine Linux Versions, Webmin versions, etc. But wondered if there was a way to determine the actual version of the Turnkey VM? 

Finally, I have tried using the 12.1 64bit and 13 64bit versions.  Thus far they seem to be much slower than my current 32 bit vm's.  I have Dell 64 dual processor bit servers and 64 GB  memory RAID 5 Drives, so machine has not seemed to be a problem.  I am running Vsphers  5.01.  I am installing with default memory etc from the OVF.  Should I be adding more memory?  Processors?  Any suggestions how to speed up?  Is anyone else experiencing this? 

Thanks for the help!

Forum: 
Eric (tssgery)'s picture

AFAIK, there is no way to tell the version number for appliances prior to 13.0; starting in 13, you can find the specifics in the file /etc/turnkey_version. 

EDIT: You might be able to check the installed packages for one called "turnkey-core". I just ran "aptitude search turnkey" and see a "turnkey-core-13.0" installed (but I do not have any 12.x VM's currently running to check.

Ragarding the 64 bit applainces being slower, they might be but I wouldn't think it would be noticeable. I run both 32 and 64 bit versions myself and they seem to be very similar. I am on vSphere 5.5, but saw no major discrepencies with 5.0 either. One difference is tahat I do not use the OVF images. I install from ISO images and almost always set the memory to be 2GB or 4GB (I think the OVF images might be lower). 

I'd try bumping the memory of one of your images to see if it helps.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Like Eric suggests:

cat /etc/turnkey_version

AFAIK TKL has been using that file for ever (or at least as long as I have been involved) and should be all you need.

Out of interest though you can check the base OS with 

cat /etc/issue

and the kernel version with

uname -r

Also the MOTD (Message Of The Day - the text that appears when you log into a terminal session) should say it right at the top. You can reshow this in an existing session with

cat /etc/motd

Add new comment