Ole Rasmussen's picture

I've just installed the latest core distribution, everything went fine.
Everything is working fine. I didn't apply updates at installation point but went to do that from Webmin

That started out fine but stopped here and now has gone into limbo :-(

HELP, what is going on!!!

I have tryed to apply updates right at install, same result :-(

Get:75 http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates/main linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64 amd64 3.2.60-1+deb7u3 [23.4 MB]
Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Firstly I tested with a TurnKey Core (64 bit) v13.0 OVZ container, but then I thought maybe to be fair that I should test installing from ISO in a KVM VM (mainly as you mention the kernel package in your post).

But I am unable to reproduce your issue (although I only did the updates as part of the install/initial config). It does take a while, but they all download fine and once downloaded the install goes quite quickly.

So my first guess is that there is something up with your network. Either you have a firewall or a proxy that is blocking access; or there is something else stopping internet access... I'm only guessing though...

It should eventually time out. If so perhaps try some troubleshooting such as pinging websites to see what happens...

Ole Rasmussen's picture

I don't think it's a network issue. The first 27 updates is applyed just fine

I've tryed now on two different networks, at my work and at home, same result :-(

I also tryed on a physical machine and a VirtualBox machine, same difference.

When ever it reaches this update it runs for a while then starts over again on the same update :-(

I made a video showing what happends.
http://youtu.be/1kz3vZtyUT8?hd=1

OnePressTech's picture

You said that you were using the "latest" core distribution. What version and what distribution? Just checking if you are building the image yourself or downloading the image and what type of image. You didn't say. ISO, OVF, other?

You also didn't say what target machine you are intending to use. For example, if your target machine is a cloud vmware VM, then you could try the ovf instead of the ISO if that is giving you trouble.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers,

Tim (Managing Director - OnePressTech)

Ole Rasmussen's picture

Im using the latest Core ISO from the TKL homepage,

"turnkey-core-13.0-wheezy-amd64.iso"
Linux core 3.2.0-4-amd64 "1 SMP Debian 3.2.51-1 x86_64

Jeremy Davis's picture

And TBH I have no idea. AFAIK Debian security isn't mirrored so we should have been downloading from the same server. But I can't explain why downloading the kernel package is fine for me but an issue for you.

It's a dirty workaround but perhaps you could try downloading the deb manually.

cd /var/cache/apt/archives
wget http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/l/linux/linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64_3.2.60-1+deb7u3_amd64.deb

Note here is the full url (with a space so it doesn't hide part of it): http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/l/linux /linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64_3.2.60-1+deb7u3_amd64.deb

The only other thing I could think, is are you using the same ISO for all your installs? If so have you double checked the hash of it? It may pay to on the off chance there is a minor corruption.

Ole Rasmussen's picture

When I try to DL the patch in the console I get this:

Read error at byte 23383034/23416520 (Connection reset by peer). Retrying.

and then it starts over again :-(

OnePressTech's picture

I did a few Google searches and there are a few people experiencing a similar problem. In all cases it is being attributed by the  bug analysers to a network timeout issue. Jeremy's first root cause assumption is quite possible the correct one.

Some attributed it to the ISP, the firewall, Wifi.

Solutions include adjustment to wget timeout or wget continuation option . Unfortunately these would require an adjustment to the wget parameters which would be an adjustment to the ISO.

Suggested next step:

--------------------------

1) If you are using Wifi you might switch to a wired connection and see if that fixes it.

2) Restate your problem. It doesn't sound like you have a problem with the installation, just the security patching. If Jeremy provides you with the security patching script you may be able to adjust the script to use the wget timeout / continuation options described in the links above.

By the way...what country are you in and what ISP are you using?

Cheers,

Jeremy Davis's picture

Always nice to have some other perspectives mate! :)

Ole: Ultimately there will need to be a better fix to your server (or your network) itself (so future auto security updates don't also fail like this) but to continue with my above suggested dirty (short term) workaround perhaps fiddle with wget switches as suggested in Tim's first link.

The one most likely to make a difference IMO is this:

--header="Keep-Alive: 30000"

FWIW by default wget should already be sending a keep alive header to the server, but I'm not sure what the value is so specifying it might be worth a shot?!

Also FYI wget by default will (re)try 20 times ('-t' switch followed by number of tries) and will timeout after waiting 900 seconds ('-T' followed by number of seconds to wait until timeout). Also as Tim mentions it is possible to continue downloading a file (assuming that the server supports that) with the '-c' switch.

Ole Rasmussen's picture

It has no effect ajusting the wget with the --header option, I still get the read error :-(

BTW: I located in Denmark

I do not thing it has anything to do with my network, because it is the excact same problem I have both at work and at home. Two different network ISP's.

Both ISP is based on fiber. At work 100/100Mb and at home 20/20Mb. If I try to DL the file from Windows I get the same Network error, so it has nothing to do with the distribution.

I'm lost :-(

OnePressTech's picture

What if you commented out the offending wget. Does ithe security script complete properly? If it does then just download the troublesome deb file. upload it to the server and load it manually.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Ole Rasmussen's picture

Well, I can't even DL the deb file from a windows PC, same problem, it gets a read error after about 20Mb is recieved :-(

I have a feeling it's the deb file that's the problem, is it perhaps a different mirror I'm DL from than you !?

Ole 

OnePressTech's picture

Hi Ole,

Click on the following link provided by Jeremy above and see if you can download the deb. If you can't then that is your problem.

http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/l/linux/lin...

Cheers,

Jeremy Davis's picture

I have put the kernel deb in my dropbox. Try downloading that... (link below). FWIW as a general rule I would not recommend trusting anyone for kernel binary downloads (except Debian themselves) but for the purposes of trying to pin down the issue...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1624002/wheezy-security-kernel/linux...

Also I did a nslookup on security.debian.org and it seems that it resolves to 7 different IPs - 3 IPv6 ones & 4 IPv4 ones... So perhaps one of them has a corrupt file?

TBH though it surprises me that I can find no one else complaining of this exact issue anywhere online. I would expect at least some mention of it somewhere if it was an issue on the server...

OnePressTech's picture

I think we're down to the end game now. Your observation that it is puzzling why no one else experiences this should resolve itself over the next few emails. We just need to narrow the questions.

Ole has said he has this issue at work and at home using two different ISPs. There is likely another common factor he has not yet identified. Was he using the same computer in both locations to do the test? Could be computer related... Firewall perhaps! Other security plug-in! I asked if he used Wifi. He didn't say yes or no just that home & work use fiber...he didn't say he used a wired connection between the computer and the router / hub.

Ole...

Q1: Are you using Wifi to connect the computer you are running the tests with to your router?

Q2: Are you using the same computer to do these tests from home and work?

Q3: If it is the same computer I'm assuming it's a laptop unless you're lugging a desktop computer around?

Cheers,

Ole Rasmussen's picture

Hi Jeremy,

The link you provided is broken "404 not found" :-(

/Ole

Jeremy Davis's picture

It worked this morning (when I posted it) but I just double checked and you're right, then checked my Dropbox and it's gone... (not just the file but the folder as well...!) WTF!? Will re upload but not sure when I have time as I have to head out now...

Ole Rasmussen's picture

Strange :-/ I'l just wait ;)

Thanks

Ole Rasmussen's picture

Hi Tim,

Q1.  No, I'm not on wifi

Q2.  I'm using 2 different computers. One is a Virtualbox VM the other is an old Dell Optiplex 620 desktop

/Ole

Ole Rasmussen's picture

Yes I have, I get aread error at 20Mb and then it starts over :-(

OnePressTech's picture

Click this...

http://security.debian.org/debian-security/pool/updates/main/l/linux/lin...

It is just a 22.3MB download from a mirror. If you can't download it then that is your problem. You will need to figure out why that is happening. I would suggest you contact your ISP.

Cheers,

OnePressTech's picture

If you can't download from the link I provided go to the following website and try downloading directly from a mirror in a country close to yours

https://www.debian.org/mirror/list-full

Search for the word

security

to find the mirrors supporting security patch downloads.

Cheers,

Ole Rasmussen's picture

Just DL the file from http://mirror.steadfast.net/ without any problem. Guess Debian has faulty files in some of thiere mirrors

/Ole

OnePressTech's picture

Now that you have a success you can explore your options to find the one that works best for you.

Regarding debain mirrors...the files are not faulty. The downloads that don't work for you work fine for me and Jeremy in Australia. The likely issue is that your ISPs don't have decent capacity on their international links or are throttling their accounts. If I were you I would take the link I sent you above and email it to your ISP support and get them to explain why you can't download it.

Best of luck :-)

Cheers,

Jeremy Davis's picture

FWIW Tim, I agree that it is worth following up with ISP - to actually get the issue resolved (properly). I guess a workaround for now would be to change the repo url in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/security.list (to the mirror that works).

Regardless though, I'm glad we (sort of) resolved it. And thanks tons for your invaluable input (again) Tim! :)

OnePressTech's picture

Happy to take some credit for methodical questions but you certainly get the credit for quick diagnosis. You got it right on the first go without having to ask any questions at all. Nicely done :-)

Cheers,

Ole Rasmussen's picture

Thank you both of you Jeremy and Tim for invaluable help, I would NEWER have found a solution by my self ;-)

Jeremy. The security list is not /etc/apt/sources.list.d/security.list but/etc/apt/sources.list.d/securitysources.list :-P

Thank's a lot guys 

Add new comment