DiN0's picture

Hi,

I want to update an existing Joomla (1.6) on Turnkey (11.1)
It is an productive system, so my question is...what is the best way to update the joomla without installing an new turnkey?

Is it possible to update step by step? from 1.6 -> 1.6.5, 1.6.5 -> 1.7, ... til v.3.2? (bacause i think for 3.3 i also need a new php-version?)

best regards,
dino

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

I understand that currently you are not keen to upgrade the underlaying OS. However keep in mind that TurnKey v11.x was based on Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) and that will only be receiving security updates for less than 6 months. Hence TurnKey v11.x will not be suitable as a production server come April 2015.

Having said that, I think that a multi stage upgrade makes sense. I see no reason why you couldn't upgrade your Joomla install step-by-step on your current server and then migrate to a new server later on.

As for your question regards to the upgrade steps, I suggest that you consult with the Joomla community about that. I suspect that you may not need quite so many steps but I'm unsure.

[update] One very important point which I neglected! Backups! Make sure that you have a backup of each step so if something goes pearshaped you can go back and try again. A backup can be as simple as a copy of the files and an export of the DB.

Add new comment