plitka's picture

Hi. I have Virtual Box on Windows 7 with installed Ubuntu. I put the same project in two different folders, one in /var/www/project and another in /media/sf_project, associated with shared folder on windows machine. The problem is, that opening project via shared folder directory takes 4 times longer than using /var/www folder. Is it possible to resolve this difference? Because using shared folders with IDE are much easier - no need to duplicate project on VM and on Windows folder.

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

One of the best (IMO) Windows text editors is Notepad++ and that has an FTP client built in. All TurnKey appliances have SFTP (FTP over SSH) pre-configured and enabled by default. E ven if you're not using Notepad++ perhaps your software has something similar or a plugin...?

Another option is to just use a 3rd party FTP client (such as Filezilla) and configure it to use your editor of choice to open the file(s) you want to work with.

You could also use Samba (SMB/CIFS) to create a Windows share on your appliance.

There are tons of different options... There are many more mentioned in the docs.

plitka's picture

Thanks, Jeremy. My problem is, that my IDE (PhpStorm) can directly work only with local folders, so i need to find the fastest way to work with them. VirtualBox sharing seems to be quiet slow, so i'll check Samba by your advice.

plitka's picture

Samba works well, problem is solved.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Glad you got it sorted and are all systems go! :)

Add new comment