Tommy Lind's picture

Hi,

I have setup a turnkey wordpress site with external nginx server. Nginx are using SSL via certbot & Let`s encrypt. The browser tells me that the site is not secure. When I check the domain am getting an error saying "The domain name does not match the certificate common name or SAN.". 

Does anyone know what I can do to solve this?

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

It sounds like the certificate you have does not match the domain you are serving. You need to get a new cert that is valid for the domain that you are using - i.e. the one that is displayed in the address bar. When you check the cert, it should show the domain that it is valid for.

Tommy Lind's picture

The sertificate name and domain name are the same. 

Jeremy Davis's picture

It looks like the certificate you have is a wildcard cert (i.e. starts with a asterisk). That will only match a subdomain. Because you've obscured the domain in your browser, I can't tell for sure that's the case, but my guess is that you are trying to use the naked domain (and that won't work with a wildcard cert).

Also, I suggest checking what the browser itself is reporting, rather than some other tool (looks like Windows built-in cert viewer?).

Add new comment