Forum: 

Restore take up all the disk

giabinh's picture

Hi,

Trying a restore of the nginx fastgi server.  Currently runs on 50GB disk on VMware (not sure why such a big disk - it was just setup that way)  - restoring to a Virtual box instance.

Now we gave the virtual box instance over 50GB disk space to be sure.  But the full backup is just over 1GB.  Its a proxy and doesn't do a great deal.

Having tried twice when restoring it gets part way through then appears to have filled the disk.

Disk usage on the live server is about 4GB - so I'm guessing something is going wrong... (stating the obvious I know).

Any thoughts ... had a search through the forums couldn't see anything obvious.

The profile is turnkey-nginx-php-fastcgi-13.0-wheezy-amd64

thanks

Jeremy Davis's picture

It certainly does sound strange. Are you trying to restore to the same server where the backup comes from? Or are you trying to restore to a new server? If you haven't already, then perhaps it's worth trying to restore to a new (v13.x if you still have the ISO/OVA) server?

Also I suggest that you try restoring the backup in stages. First download the backup:

mkdir /tklbam-dump
tklbam-restore BACKUP_ID --raw-download=/tklbam-dump

Then, if that's successful, try restoring:

tklbam-restore /tklbam-dump

I'm guessing that one of those steps will fail, but at least then you may have a little more insight.

If you still have the original server running (where the backup comes from). Then it may be wroth trying to have a look through the backup. You can do that using the --simulate switch. ncdu is a handy tool for seeing what space is being taken up; if you don't have that installed, try installing that first:

apt-get update && apt-get install ncdu
Then run the simulation:
tklbam-backup --simulate
Then inspect your backup:
ncdu /TKLBAM
Anything in there which you don't need, you can exclude from future backups but adding an override (/etc/tklbam/overrides). See the tklbam-backup man page.

Post new comment