Dan Kruitz's picture

I've set up and logged in as AdminUser and cannot create new webs on the new TWiki appliance.  Had been using the "old" one for a couple of months with success.  The new one is a fresh install.  Any ideas?  I get the following error message  - not sure if it's related to the appliance, or TWiki itself.

"Access check on Main.WebHome failed. Action "CHANGE": access not allowed on root."

Thanks for looking,

Jeremy Davis's picture

It sounds like the folder where it is trying to do something is owned by root rather than the webserver account. I'm not familar with the appliance but if you can find the folder where Twiki resides and chown it to the user www-data (the webserver user account) that hopefully will fix the issue. If that doesn't work then try giving it 777 permissions (which is allow anyone to do anything) and that should fix it for sure (but is potentially a security risk).

Dan Kruitz's picture

I've not had a chance to get back to this problem until lately.  I've re-installed the TWiki with the latest download in case something was changed with it.  No idea where the TWiki install is located.  Still cannot add webs to the TWiki so it appears the appliance is not built correctly.  Would be happy to work with someone on testing with it.

Jeremy Davis's picture

And I think that it definately classes as an appliance bug. I'm happy to have a look and help you (and the TKL devs) work out a resolution. Unfortunately I'm pretty snowed under at the moment. In the meantime perhaps log a bug on the TKL Bugtracker. You can just give a brief outline of the problem and link back to this forum if you'd like.

Nigel Watson's picture

I have just experienced the same problem -- did you have any luck in finding a resolution or a work around?

Jeremy Davis's picture

Should be something like this:

chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/twiki

Does that resolve the issue?

Jeremy Davis's picture

Obviously it's a Twiki internal permission issue then, nothing to do with Linux file permissions as I guessed...

Thanks for the further details, at least others can easily apply your workaround now.

Jeremy Davis's picture

See his post above.

Alon Swartz's picture

Thanks for reporting the bug folks, and sorry it took so long to be squashed. I updated the bug report with the following:

As always, thanks for reporting the issue. I've committed a fix which will be included
in the upcoming release. The fix is actually quite simple, and not sure how the bug 
got through our testing.

To fix this issue in currently deployed appliances, add the AdminUser to the 


- * Set GROUP = TWikiAdminUser
+ * Set GROUP = TWikiAdminUser AdminUser

This not only fixes the issue of creating new Webs, but also other actions that require TWikiAdminGroup privileges.

Add new comment