vanarie's picture

I've successfully installed VirtualMin on a fresh install of turnkey-lamp-2009.02-hardy-x86.iso on my testbox. Please feel free to give feedback on other problems that come up for you and maybe we can get a good FAQ entry for Turnkey!

Test environment: WebServer 2008 OS, turnkey-lamp installed under VM-Workstation 6.5. The total install base, after this has been completed is just under 1.8Gigs, so it's a good idea to create a VM image file that is over this (4 Gigs, for example).

BEFORE you install Virtualmin, you need to make sure that all libs and modules are updated. Please go to my other Step-by-step to do this.

Also note that Virtualmin ONLY supports UP TO Ubuntu 8.0.4 LTS, so trying to install to 8.1.0 will not work.

Respositories for reference:

These steps should take 20-30 minutes to complete, that's it! 

• Install Turnkey LAMP 8.0.4 LTS from ISO
  • Manually update packages
    • Shell: sudo apt-get update
    • Note: also see (/etc/apt/sources.list)
  • Install CURL
    • Note: this enables you to pull files with install.sh script
    • Shell: sudo apt-get install curl libcurl3 php5-curl php5-mcrypt
  • Install VirturalMin
    • Note: Virtualmin docs state that you MUST have a fully qualified domain name setup already (something.com) to install, but in this case, you don't. When it prompts you for the name, just type something in that identifies your server ("myubuntu.com" for example).
    • Shutdown Webmin
      • Shell: sudo /etc/init.d/webmin stop
    • copy VirtualMin/install.sh to root
    • Shell: sudo sh install.sh
    • Restart Webmin
      • Shell: sudo /etc/init.d/webmin start
    • Connect to Sql-Server
      • Webmin > Servers > MySQL Database Server
      • Connect to db with root/pass creds.
    • Run Webmin Setup Wizard
      • should display in Right panel after fresh install
    • Update Modules
      • Webmin > System Information > Package updates
  • Problems/Fixes:
    • 1) Problem: Webmin > Checking Configuration:
    • 1) FIX: Update Apache2 with VirtualMin's version
      • Shell: sudo /etc/init.d/webmin stop
      • Shell: apt-get update
      • Shell: apt-get install apache2
      • Shell: sudo /etc/init.d/webmin start
      • WebMin > Checking Configuration (should be fine now)
    • 2) Problem: WebMin>Module Updates Fail to install or Virtualmin complains "... module is missing" when working with virtual hosts.
      • module/security updates have dependency issues related to older versions of webmin (webmin-virtual-server 3.69 or less).
    • 2) Fix: manually download/update latest webmin_1.xxx_all.deb
      • Shell: apt-get install perl5 libnet-ssleay-perl
        • (if errors try this) Shell: apt-get install libnet-ssleay-perl
      • Shell: wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/webadmin/webmin_1.500_all.deb
      • Shell: dpkg --install webmin_1.500_all.deb
      • Restart Webmin if needed
      • WebMin > Refresh Available Packages
      • WebMin > Update Selected Packages
        • Note: you may need to re-run the Update process several times before all modules are updated properly.
    • 3) Problem: WGET missing
    • 3) Fix: install manually

Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

Thanks for documenting your experience. Very helpful!

This kind of community documentation effort will make it easier for us to build a virtualmin appliance because it communicates this is something users want, confirms that there are no major issues, and provides some useful information regarding the integration details that will cut down how much time it takes to usually put together an appliance.

If it's not too much trouble it would help if could upload your virtualmin appliance prototype to a free file hosting service such as DropBox and share it with us. That way we'll have a live system to use as reference.

vanarie's picture

Thanks, I posted this for me as well as anyone else who would like to Virtualmin. I was a little surprised it wasn't part of the package already, but for some, Webmin does the job. But the Virtualmin website clearly states that it does support 8.0.4 LTS, so I assumed it would work. I'm setting it up on a live server box and will let you know how it works out!
Jeremy Davis's picture

Assuming you are using TKL LAMP appliance, can you browse to the main page of your appliance? Can you ping it from the commandline/terminal?

If not then it is probably a network problem, try ensuring that networking in VMware is set to 'bridged mode" (I think thats what its called). From within the appliance run

ifconfig

amoungst other useful info, it should give the IP address of your appliance (generally with VMware the IP address listed in the host system networking will be different from the actual IP of the guest systems). Try using that to access your appliance through your web browser.

Frank Imburgio's picture

Hi all:

I am trying this with a fresh current build of the LAMP stack deployed through AMS and the turnkey hub. When I run the install script from virtualmin I get the error message below. Any idea whats wrong? I have posted the entire error log here:

WARN - 2011-10-12 19:50:37 - apt-get seems to have failed. Are you sure your OS and version is supported?
WARN - 2011-10-12 19:50:37 - http://www.virtualmin.com/os-support
FATAL - 2011-10-12 19:50:37 - Fatal Error Occurred: Installation failed: 0
FATAL - 2011-10-12 19:50:37 - Cannot continue installation.
FATAL - 2011-10-12 19:50:37 - Attempting to remove virtualmin repository configuration, so the installation can be
FATAL - 2011-10-12 19:50:37 - re-attempted after any problems have been resolved.
FATAL - 2011-10-12 19:50:37 - Removing temporary directory and files.
FATAL - 2011-10-12 19:50:37 - If you are unsure of what went wrong, you may wish to review the log
FATAL - 2011-10-12 19:50:37 - in /root/virtualmin-install.log

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy Davis's picture

From a quick glance over your log it seems that the Virtualmin package depends on a few of packages that aren't installed. One called quota is an Ubuntu package, but the others don't seem to be. I had a quick search of the Ubuntu repos so perhaps it's meant to be in the Virtualmin repo? You could try:

apt-get update
apt-get install quota mailboxes virtual-server htaccess-htpasswd

And see what happens. Although I suspect it won't work (if it's a dependancy apt-get should take care of it if it's available). But you might get lucky.

If that doesn't work I suggest you post on the Virtualmin forums and ask. Your system is reporting as Ubuntu 10.04 which they claim is supported so it looks to me like a problem on their end. Even if it works, it's probably worth mentioning so they can look at resolving it.

Good luck.

Add new comment