Samurai Jack's picture

Hi, I would like to request a CMS VM that is not yet available on your site.

The CMS is called OCPortal . I think it is a very cool CMS. Please check it out.

I hope to see it on Turnkey Linux soon.

SJ

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

And a quick glance over it, it looks like it'd be pretty easy to build a TKL OCPortal appliance on top of TKL LAMP. If you want to increase the chances of seeing it as an appliance consider creating a TKLPatch of it. The documentation is pretty good but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

TomW's picture

Today I am going to try to add FeinCMS to the Django appliance...sometimes it's just a matter of loading the added function-extension after installing the appliance.  I hope I don't bork it by using the fein instructions vs the tklpatch way. Gonna find out soon enough I just don't know enough about methods yet :)

PS Checked it out..that app has everything I want for my portal built in.  I vote for it.

Oh btw...If I vote for something here it doesn't mean hey TKL get crackin....lol...it means I'll work on it at least to the point of being testable-usable to others too...I think Jeremy sets the example of that and I will follow how he contribs.  He's a good example of a TKL helper to the 2 man team.

I.E.  if I use it I'll help with it here and other related groups-communities.

Jeremy Davis's picture

I just do what I can. I consider myself low-level support! :) Pretty much everything I know about Linux I've learned here (or through helping people here). It's a small but vibrant community IMO with a very friendly vibe going on.

But back on topic... My workflow for creating patches (not that I've completed many, started lots, but only completed one to date, so please don't make too much of an example of me and the way I do things!)

• Starting from the most relevant base appliance (eg Core, LAMP, Django, etc) installed to a VM, install and configure the desired app. Clearly document the steps as you go, preferably using the commandline as much as possible. Rinse and repeat as required.
  • Create an empty/example TKL patch and transpose your install steps into the conf script of the TKLPatch. Remeber sometimes it's better/easier to overlay config files (rather than lots of sed/awk/etc alchemy).
  • Test your patch on a clean base appliance. Rinse/repeat/tweak as required.
  • Publish your patch here on the forums. Start a new thread in the general section (you can only attach to the first post of a new thread) and upload your patch. Make sure you use the 'tklpatch' tag and in the subject as well if you like.
  • Done - easy eh!? :)

Add new comment