Wrathy's picture

Hi,

I need to upload the wordpress site, (FTP backup) to the Wordpress VM. How can I upload the website files and its mySQL DB, so I can have a development version for my Live site on turnkey Wordpress VM?

Thanks

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

If your live site is also TurnKey it's super easy! Just use TKLBAM to backup your live site, then restore the backup locally! Actually we have a number of users who use TKLBAM to migrate data between their local dev instance and their production instance.

If your live site isn't using TurnKey then so long as you have all the data you need, then it's still pretty easy. If you have an FTP client that supports SFTP (most of them do these days AFAIK), then you just need to use SFTP to upload the files. FWIW SFTP uses port 22 and is enabled by default on TurnKey. Use your root account to upload the files.

Once you've uploaded the files, you may need to log in via SSH (either use a client, or Webshell) or Webmin to adjust permissions of the files that you uploaded. As I noted above, files you upload will be owned by root, but for your server to use them, they'll likely need to be owned by www-data (the webserver user account).

If you share about more about the files, how you created them and exactly what you hope to do with them, then perhaps I can give more specific advice....

Wrathy's picture

No, My Live site, is hosted on a shared hosting provider.

I have took the backup via FTP (downloaded all the website files & Folder from the webhost htdoc folder).

I need to upload it to the Wordpress VM, how can I do this from my PC.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Use an FTP client (such as Filezilla) to upload your files to the doc root (default webroot on TurnKey WordPress is /var/www/wordpress). Make sure that you upload using the SFTP protocol (port 22).

You'll also need to adjust permissions so that the files are owned by the webserver user (www-data). IMO the easiest way to do that is via the commandline (use an SSH client such as PuTTY):

chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/wordpress

Although you should also be able to do that via Webmin if you prefer.

Wrathy's picture

Do I need to create new DB to upload the databases with the same name, as the current site has.

OnePressTech's picture

Use a WordPress plugin to clone your site:

See https://themeisle.com/blog/clone-a-wordpress-website/

Cheers,

Tim (Managing Director - OnePressTech)

Add new comment