ethanthekiwi's picture

I would like to integrate my organizations WordPress 3.0.1 intranet site with our Active Directory server, so users can log in to comment in WordPress and post in the forum (bbpress which is already integrated with WordPress) without having to create a second account. I installed the Active Directory Integration plugin, but it gave me this error: "ATTENTION: You have no LDAP support. This plugin won´t work." This was a bit vague for me so I tried a different plugin, Simple LDAP Login. It gave me this error:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'adLDAPException' with message 'No LDAP support for PHP. See: http://www.php.net/ldap' in /var/www/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/simple-ldap-login/adLDAP.php:338 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/simple-ldap-login/Simple-LDAP-Login.php(60): adLDAP->__construct(Array) #1 /var/www/wordpress/wp-admin/plugins.php(158): include('/var/www/wordpr...') #2 /var/www/wordpress/wp-admin/plugins.php(160): plugin_sandbox_scrape('simple-ldap-log...') #3 {main} thrown in /var/www/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/simple-ldap-login/adLDAP.php on line 338

I began to sense a pattern so I started doing some reading on LDAP and PHP. From what I understood, I need to enable LDAP in my PHP installation. I believe that means I need to install or update something on the Turnkey Linux WordPress application side of things, but I am not sure how to do that. I found instructions for doing this on a Windows server, but could not find anything similar for Turnkey.

Let me know if you need anymore info about my system.

Forum: 
Adrian Moya's picture

Try installing php5-ldap package and restarting apache.

apt-get install php5-ldap

That should add ldap support to php. But I'm just guessing 

ethanthekiwi's picture

That worked, thank you very much. (and good guess)

Here is what I did for anyone with the same problem:

I went into webmin for the Turnkey Linux appliance. From the tools menu I selected Command Shell and then ran the apt-ge install php5-ldap command and it installed php5-ldap. Then I went to Servers - Apache webservers and clicked stop apache then start apache. This of course took the site down for all of a few seconds. Then I went into WordPress, clicked activate on the Simple LDAP plugin and it was working. 

Adrian Moya's picture

Glad to help!

Jeremy Davis's picture

So I suggest that you should be able to add the Debian source repository and use that to recompile in the way that you want/need. I don't have a ton of experience with that stuff; so I suggest that you do a bit of googling. FWIW TKL v14.x = Debian Jessie.
Jeremy Davis's picture

Active Directory provides LDAP authentication and WordPress can support LDAP so totally legit...
TravisT's picture

I have the Joomla applicance installed and ready to go.  I want to add AD for my organization.  What needs to be configured on the linux side to make this work?  I have ldap and authnz_ldap installed.  Is there a basic how-to for this?

Jeremy Davis's picture

I'm not familiar with Joomla, but AFAIK it's possible. I imagine that there are some settings you'd need to adjust in Joomla, although perhaps you need to install a specific Joomla extension?

I just did a quick google for "joomla ad authentication" and it returned tons of results that look pretty relevant.

If you manage to get it working perhaps you could post back with a tutorial to make it easier for future users?

Good luck

Add new comment