How to configure mldonkey to save downloaded files to a samba share at another server?

Guest's picture
I tried to reconfigure the torrent appliance, by redirecting the /srv/storage to another smb share at another server. I added the new line in fstab. This share is writable by any user for the ipaddress of the torrent server. Afther this MLDonkey did not start; the site at port 12322 was not available. I reinstalled and tried to change it by changing the symbolic links in /var/lib/mldonkey. This gives the same result. Does anybody know how to configure this appliance to save the downloaded files to the samba fileserver?
Jeremy Davis's picture

But the TKL Torrent appliance is already built on top of TKL Fileserver, so it already is a file server!

Although obviously that isn't quite what you are saying/asking. IMO it is possible that it may not support that sort of usage. I have had some issues using Samba shares with some apps (just as I have had issues using Win fileshares with some Win apps).

Out of curiosity, can you successfully change the default download directory to an alternative location ok?

richie's picture

I need to save the files to the core operating system, to prevent the growth of the virtual machine. This is available for my local computers. The servers which are connected to the internet are cannot connect to my local computers.

I created a new folder /media/test, copy the content of /srv/storage to it. Delete and make a new symbolic link to it. After this I can start mldonkey.

After that I checked the permissions and reconfigured it for the share which is mounted to /media/smb. The permissions are 775, owner is root and group is users. This is similar as the original files. After reconfiguring the symbolic link mldonkey won't start.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Although I imagine that MLDonkey is running under the www-data (webserver) user account so perhaps try making sure that that user account has write access to the Samba share. Also don't forget that Samba (and Win file shares) have 2 levels of permissions, share permission and file permission.

If the other server is also Linux based what about using the native NFS instead of Samba? I would imagine that would have a greater chance of working.

Or another (although more convaluted) approach would be to set up a couple of cron jobs. IIRC MLDonkey moves completed downloads to a 'completed' directory. How about you set up a cron job to copy them to the mounted Samba share and another to delete them after a certain period of time? Not the nicest/easiest solution but should work.

Post new comment