Just fired up the LAMP Stack - Web Stack (MySQL) provided by TurnKey Linux instance and can't connect to the MySQL database from my ofice using MySQLWorkbench. I want it open to all remote connections.

I opened up the port 3306 in the security group. Am i missing somethign>

Forum: 
Tags: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

So not only do you need to open the port in the security group you also need to configure MySQL to listen for external connections. Have a look here in the docs.

MYSQL_BATCH="mysql --user=root --password=$MYSQL_PASS --batch"
$MYSQL_BATCH --execute "INSERT INTO mysql.user ( Host , User , Password , Select_priv ,
    Insert_priv , Update_priv , Delete_priv , Create_priv , Drop_priv , Reload_priv , 
    Shutdown_priv , Process_priv , File_priv , Grant_priv , References_priv , 
    Index_priv , Alter_priv , Show_db_priv , Super_priv , Create_tmp_table_priv , 
    Lock_tables_priv , Execute_priv , Repl_slave_priv , Repl_client_priv , 
    Create_view_priv , Show_view_priv , Create_routine_priv , Alter_routine_priv , 
    Create_user_priv , ssl_type , max_questions , max_updates , max_connections , 
    max_user_connections) VALUES ( '%', 'root', '', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y',
    'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y','Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y',
    'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', '', '0', '0', '0', '0');"

thanks!

Jeremy Davis's picture

Regardless, I suggest that you log in via SSH to check that MySQL is still running and listening for remote connections. It would also be worth checking the logs. OTTOMH they should be in /var/log/mysql or something similar.

FWIW, in my experience, the most common cause of a MySQL crash that is "resolved" temporarily by a reboot, is running out of RAM. Probably something worth investigating...

Add new comment