Witzker's picture

Hi, there is a system hint in overview:

I intend to try out The App Custom menu

Requirements:

• PHP >= 8.0
  • App theming enabled

So Pls. let me know How to update to PHP 8.0

I'm not very clever in this server stuff, so Pls. tell me a simple method to update.

Is it somehow possible to this in webmin?

I tried to update on another Nextcloud instance with different descriptions but failed all times with lot of trouble, so I gave up and is ruined now!

I don't want to ruin my new Nextcloud now by doing something wrong!

Pls. Help

THX

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Firstly, if you'd like to fix the broken one, please share some more info. It's almost certainly a fairly easy fix, but I'll need to understand the nature of the issue. The most likely problem is a missing module and/or or the wrong Apache PHP module being enabled. So if you want to fix it, please do share some more info.

Either way, you'll need to use the CLI (so not Webmin). I always recommend using SSH.

Also, I always suggest creating a backup before you make any changes like this - especially on a server that has data, so worst case you don't lose anything. Personally I usually like to also take a snapshot as that makes rolling back that particular server easier. In fact if it's a production server, I'll often take a snapshot, restore that to a new server and test on that (documenting as I go - so I can replay later) before attempting on the production server.

An alternate , albeit subpar option is to just fire up a new instance of whatever appliance (e.g. in this case Nextcloud) and do a quick test on that. You do need to be mindful that there may be edge cases where it works differently on a fresh instance vs an existing one (e.g. if the versions aren't exactly the same, have different configurations, etc) but it can be a "quick and dirty" test with minimal impact if it fails.

As to the "how to", development of a tool to make this super simple command has been on my backlog for a while, unfortunately, I still haven't got to it. The general process has been discussed multiple times here on the forums, so really I probably should post a canonical blog post "how to" - so there is a primary source. I haven't compared all my comments, but I suspect that I've given slightly different commands to run in different posts. Until then, you'll need to rely on what I've posted elsewhere. If you can provide feedback and we troubleshoot any issues together, perhaps we can develop the body of an authoritative blog post? Whilst I'm not sure there'll be any specific threads covering exactly what you want to do, (i.e. upgrading from a specific version to a specific version) may not be the covered, the general process is more-or-less unchanged for many years now.

From a quick glance, I think that this post might be the best one? (It appears to be the newest at least). As I said, there are others though; here, here and/or (by a community member some time ago) here (they all should get you close, if not all the way - you should be able to substitute PHP version). There are also numerous other threads where issues are discussed, so your issue may already be covered (no problem if you don't find it, but might save you having to wait for me).

My final word is that unless you have a need not to, I'd recommend only upgrading to the the latest stable PHP release (i.e. currently 8.1). It is possible to use older versions (e.g. 8.0), but it's more likely that things will "just work" if you go with the latest. It will also likely allow easier major version update in the future.

Hopefully that get's you started at least.

Witzker's picture

@  I think that this post might be the best one? 

Pls. Excuse me but if you read this it is exactly concerning what I wrote above!

This realy could'nt be you serious solution!

Pls. Remember your URL "TURNKEY"

This is nothing else as disaster!

So Stop!

How can we get a Turnkey script where user can choose their desired PHP version by simply choosing.?

Like you have e.g on a managed Webspace

Jeremy Davis's picture

Wow, I must say that I'm a bit surprised by your attitude. You've been around for a while and I am quite shocked by your demanding tone. Did you forget that TurnKey is an open source project, essentially a gift? Is this how you act when you are given a gift that isn't exactly to your specifications? If so, it must have been fun at your place over Christmas...

Look I get that it can be frustrating when the pieces you have don't all fit together nicely out of the box (welcome to my world - it's about 90% of my job). Regardless, I work my butt off for TurnKey because I love it and I care about the community we have here and I want to assist people to solve their problems. I want to make simple things easy and hard things possible. I get that TurnKey is not perfect and I agree, it would be wonderful if I could click my fingers and make it work how you wanted. I think everybody would be super happy with that, me included. But unfortunately, that's not how the world works. Just like you can't click your fingers and make it work, neither can I!

We have spent lots of time and effort crafting facility to include newer PHP for appliances that explicitly need it, but it has associated costs (e.g. you lose automated security updates for PHP) so it's a trade off that needs careful consideration (and one that I'm not super happy about TBH). So we don't use that unless we really need to. And as you've noticed, despite clear instructions that consistently work fine for me on a clean appliance, adding that functionality to an existing appliance can be problematic.

As I noted, I have spent tons of time on this issue already and it's documented numerous times. All of them should work, but as you can see (and demonstrated by your experience) there are edge cases and perhaps some details not spelled out as clearly as they should be. I was asking for your assistance to improve the situation! But it seems you're not interested in assisting, even to help yourself!?

In other news, since you've posted this, you'll be pleased to hear that I've spent about 35 hours of my "holidays" working on the tool I've mentioned to try to make it easier to install/change PHP versions. It's getting close, but I still have more work to do. My guess is that I'm perhaps half way. Now I'm back at work, with all the other priorities and distractions (such as trying to help people such as yourself) I'm not sure when I'll have time to finish it.

The irony is that if you'd take a couple of minutes to explain what your specific problem was, then like I said, I'm almost certain that it would have been an easy fix and you would have been up and running last week. I was more than happy to take the time to help you, but I need you to help me to help you!

If you care to show a little humility, re-read my previous post and try again, I'm still more than willing to assist you. If you feel that your previous post was ok and are expecting me to do it all for you, then I guess TurnKey probably isn't for you.

In specific response to your last bit:

How can we get a Turnkey script where the user can choose their desired PHP version by simply choosing?

Other than waiting for me to write it, I'm not sure? I'm not aware of any publicly available tool (not even a non-open source one) that does what you want; hence the need for me to write it. It doesn't sound like you are aware of one either, but if you are, please do share as it would save me a ton of time and effort.

Add new comment