elysse77's picture

I worship the turnkey concept in appliances as being a fast and brilliant way for hosting it myself and have the full control, but I am missing the image with a full media (display/streaming/coding/encoding) functionality.

I am thinking in terms of: one place for all media in original fomats (video, music, pictures) in all sorts of encoding (MKV, VOB, MP3, MP4, JPG, TIFF aso.) with lots of integration possibilities.

As a former WHS (uuuhh) user I liked the concept of being able to access the media via different methods: SMB, DNLA, WEB, RDP, DVR, radio broadcasts with the possibility of lots of plugins and functionalities aso.

There must be a way to freely make a similar build that could easily expand into lots of specific use cases like for TVguide, HDHomeRun, Free WebTV, Galleries, Plex, HTPC, Playstation, Xbox aso.

Of course this should be able to be stored on an easily expandable redundant storage solution (NAS, iSCSI, NFS)

Everything running virtually of course.....

Am I too old fashioned or is this just a no go in terms of licenses and time spend on building such image ?

Just curious..

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Have you tried our Mediaserver appliance?

Hopefully, that should tick most of your boxes?! It's built on top of the Fileserver appliance, so includes all the file sharing options (SMB, NFS, SFTP, SSHFS, WebDAV, etc) that that one does, but then also has Jellyfin media viewer pre-installed too (it previously included Emby instead, but they have moved to a proprietary license - Jellyfin is a fully free fork of Emby).

Jellyfin provides an "in browser" media player (so can be used from any device with a web browser) but AFAIK, it also includes support for DLNA as well. They have intentions of developing their own Android and iDevice apps, but in the meantime, it should still work ok with the Emby apps.

Hopefully that fulfils your main desires. If you have further feedback and/or thoughts for expansion/improvement, please share.

elysse77's picture

my  issue has been solved!!

mairutokok77's picture

options (SMB, NFS, SFTP, SSHFS, WebDAV,) ?

Jeremy Davis's picture

Could you please elaborate on what you are asking.

Add new comment