mbowman's picture

I'm new to this arena and have some basic questions -sorry if way simple:

1. Site is up and running, although I am unable to create new directories in Media Manager (with super admin rights).

2. Ultimately, site uploads (such as images) are also failing.

3. Where do I create an FTP user account?  I used the super admin account and it fails to connect to port.

Any help is much appreciated!  Thanks!

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

I suspect you may be having the same problem I did initially. To get uploads working and create new directories through a server app (such as media manager) you will need to give the web server ownership of the parent directory. Apache (Web server) should be running under the www-data user account, so either chown the folder locally (using a terminal) or you can change permissions from within Webmin using the "info" window (accessed in the File Manager). Also have a look at this topic: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/forum/support/20090529/lamp-tring-use-web-pa... . The appliance is different but the theory should be the same.

Hope that helps!
mbowman's picture

Once I was able to locate the default joomla directory in Webmin > File manager and set permissions, all is well. Full 777 config was not required. For anyone else using this vmware appliance looking for a quick fix, set permissions to 755 (for "this folder and all files/all folders") for the following parent directory: /usr/share/joomla15. I'm sure not all sub-directories/files require 755, although this is instant gratification!
Alon Swartz's picture

There were permission issues reported a couple of releases back, but we thought we had fixed them (no complaints until now).

What version are you using?
mbowman's picture

System Information PHP Built on: Linux joomla 2.6.24-24-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 15 15:54:25 UTC 2009 i686 Database Version: 5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.4 Database Collation: utf8_general_ci PHP Version: 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.6 Web Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.4-2ubuntu5.6 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g Web Server to PHP interface: apache2handler Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.11 Production/Stable [ Vea ] 03-June-2009 03:30 GMT User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Alon Swartz's picture

Just to confirm, this is the joomla-2009.06-hardy release, correct?
mbowman's picture

joomla-2009.06-hardy release is corect. Downloaded from your site Monday.
mbowman's picture

Out of box config also displayed "please make cache directory writable" on the default Joomla site home page.
Alon Swartz's picture

Joomla! should be releasing a new version over the weekend, so we'll issue an appliance update and squash the above mentioned bugs at the same time.

Thanks for reporting these issues!
mbowman's picture

We are having trouble with the picture resizing -I believe I have all the tools/plugins are installed and active, yet pictures upload and then resize on their own, primarily very large. Is there somewhere you can direct me to verify config? I have read a few threads, however I am not able to get this to work as desired. Can you also config the new release with this resize option in place? Any help much appreciated!
Alon Swartz's picture

While testing the new release (Joomla 2009.07) out of the box, I uploaded an image into a new post, resized it in tinymce (with the mouse), then saved. Seems to work great, let us know if you have any issues.

janadmin's picture

Sofar didn't see an update, and I don't think so. best regards for a Joomla user.
best regards from a Joomla user.
Alon Swartz's picture

We were under the impression that Joomla would be releasing an update over the weekend, which never happened.

I'll contact them and see what their timeline is, and then re-evaluate whether we wait for the release or issue a new version prior to the release.
janadmin's picture

they have an version 1.6 alpha now (a week ago) which will replace 1.5.x, just wait for final. best regards from a Joomla user.
janadmin's picture

Alon Swartz's picture

Thanks janadmin, we were updated about the new version as soon as it was released. Its the next todo on my list, I just have to finish the current "in progress" item.
Alon Swartz's picture

Just in case you didn't notice the update annoucement, we have released Joomla 2009.07.

All above mentioned issues have been fixed, let us know if you have any other issues...

mbowman's picture

Thanks for staying on top of this.  To resolve my intitial out-of-box image resizing issues in the previous release, I had to add the correct editor to the appropriate user and voila!  Post install config -was operator error.

Question re Joomla release 2009.07..  is this just the Joomla app or the entire VMware appliance?  I'd like to upgrade my exisitng appliance rather than start from scratch.

Much appreciated.

Liraz Siri's picture

We updated both the appliance and the Joomla package in our repository. TurnKey appliances are configured to apply security updates automatically so you probably don't have to do anything this time.

OTOH, it isn't technically possible to update everything in place without risking breaking user-modified appliances so you shouldn't expect older updated appliances to be identical to a new appliance installed from scratch even if they do have updated components. In particular the integration glue can't be updated safely. That means it may occasionally make sense to migrate your data over to a totally new appliance version.

Add new comment