Subscribe to Security and News announcements
In the works: new apps, multi-app installations, clustering, better backups...
Ruby on Rails
- Web Application Framework
Ruby on Rails is an open-source web framework that's optimized for programmer happiness and sustainable productivity. Written in Ruby, Rails lets you write beautiful code by favoring convention over configuration. The result is a web framework that allows you to transition from idea to implementation in a very short period of time.
Run from browser:
This appliance includes all the standard features in TurnKey Core, and on top of that:
- SSL support out of the box.
- Webmin modules for configuring Apache2, and MySQL.
- Ruby on Rails configuration:
- Deployment via Phusion Passenger for Apache (mod_rails)
- Preconfigured example Rails application located at /var/www/railsapp
- MySQL databases setup for production, development and testing.
- RubyGems package manager installed from upstream tarball
- APT and RubyGems are both package management systems and may potentially conflict.
- We recommend using RubyGems for managing Rails components (called gems), and APT for everything else.
- Essential build packages (build-essentials) are included to aid in building gems.
Upgrading RubyGems itself and Rails components (gems):
gem update --system gem update
See the Ruby on Rails docs for further details.
Usage details & Logging in for Administration
No default passwords: For security reasons there are no default passwords. All passwords are set at system initialization time.
Ignore SSL browser warning: browsers don't like self-signed SSL certificates, but this is the only kind that can be generated automatically without paying a commercial Certificate Authority.
Web - point your browser at either:
- http://18.104.22.1689/ - not encrypted so no browser warning
- https://22.214.171.1249/ - encrypted with self-signed SSL certificate
Username for database administration:
Login as MySQL username root at
- MySQL command line tool:
$ mysql --user root --password Enter password: Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g. Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement. mysql>
Username for OS system administration:
Login as root except on AWS marketplace which uses username admin.
- Point your browser to:
- Login with SSH client:
Special case for AWS marketplace:
* Replace 126.96.36.1999 with a valid IP or hostname.