Michael Larsen's picture

Any plans to integrate this project in Turnkey Linux ?? 

https://letsencrypt.org/

Cheers

Forum: 
Tags: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Let’s Encrypt has been on our radar for a while, but I was unaware that the beta is now public!

That's great news as adding OOTB support is a real option! Is it something that you are interested in helping out with? Or just offering a suggestion?

We are gearing up for v14.1 now. It will mostly be about bugfixes and pre-installing all the security updates; but if we can squeeze a new feature or 2 in too that'd be super awesome! :)

Michael Larsen's picture

I would be glad to help out, but I would only be able to help testing, as I have no or very little programming experience.

Cheers

Jeremy Davis's picture

Hopefully we can get it done. I think it'd be a great new feature.

Assuming we get to it (and I hope we do) I'll try to remember to let you know. :)

Jeremy Davis's picture

We don't have an ETA but we do definitely have something in the pipeline. It's mostly done, but we're not 100% sure on how best to include it. It will definitely make it into v14.2 but may be released separately prior to then. We'll have to wait and see...
Jeremy Davis's picture

To answer your questions:

1. v14.2 has no ETA at this point. Technically we haven't even started work on it (although you could argue that our integration of Let's Encrypt SSL certs is a planned component of v14.2). I would say 3 months at the absolute soonest. In honesty that timeframe would require us to start work now. Regardless, I would hope that v14.2 will be released by the end of the year.

2. The Let's Encrypt integration will be commandline only but will be interactive and easy to use.

It is almost certain that we will release this prior to v14.2. We are also extending on Confconsole and ideally we would like to make the SSL certs part of Confconsole so we may actually roll them out together? There are still too many unknowns at this point...

I know that the commandline can seem a little daunting coming from a GUI background (I've certainly been there after years of being a Windows "Power User"). But once you become comfortable with it a whole new world opens up. One of the things I particularly like is that unlike GUI tutorials, following commandline tutorials leaves little room for ambiguity. Anyway...

Regarding finding docs to do this yourself; a great place to start is the Getting Started page! If you keep in mind that under the hood TurnKey is Debian (i.e. v14.x = Debian Jessie) then there should be tons of relevant material online. Also Ubuntu is pretty close to Debian (it's also based on Debian, but isn't completely binary compatible) so often Ubuntu instructions will also be relevant. Although be careful with some things; e.g. never add an Ubuntu PPA repo to a TurnKey/Debian production server.

Jeremy Davis's picture

AFAIK you should be able to install python-dialog from the Debian repos (rather than ours - we use an old version for legacy code reaons). You could then ajust your first step to one line. Regardless, I don't mean to be critical, just sharing info. Good on you for taking the time to write it up and share. I'm sure others will appreciate it. :)

FWIW our code in progress can be found here. Anton has had to put it aside due to other pressing priorities but it should be functional. We haven't finished testing yet though and still not 100% sure how we'll roll it out to existing users. We need to make sure that it doesn't break things fir users that have already configured things themselves. Regardless you will need to manually invoke it (it certainly won't auto run!)

Jeremy Davis's picture

See here. And the whole library should now be updated to include it. Including v14.2 Joomla and v14.2 WordPress.

Add new comment