Ovidiu Pacuraru's picture

Don't mistake the title, I don't have one, I was asking for one :-) 

http://openmeetings.apache.org/

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

But we are struggling to keep on top of maintenance as it is, so I don't anticipate that we'll be able to look at developing new appliances ourselves anytime soon.

If you want to have a crack at developing an appliance yourself then there are lots of docs I can point you to. Probably this would be a good place to start?!

Beyond that, one of our community champions; Ken Robinson (aka DocCyblade - TKL or GitHub) has been doing a fantastic job of mentoring a new community developer to create a new appliance and he may be willing to help you (and me) too? [sorry to dob you in Ken... :)]

As a complete aside, Big Blue Button is a pretty cool conference platform too. It's aimed at eLearning primarily, but IMO it's functionality lends itself as generic online conference/presentation/webinar type platform. On the downside AFAIK it still relies on Flash (for the video) and Java (for desktop sharing) so may not be ideal.

Besides, as we don't have an appliance for that either it doesn't really help you out...

Ovidiu Pacuraru's picture

thanks, I'll look into it but just starting a new job so I doubt I'll have the time to try my hand at creating an appliance myself.

had a look at big blue button, looks like a clone of openmeetings but with a "smoother" and more polished interface. on the other hand I guess all conference platforms look like clones of each other :-)

Jeremy Davis's picture

I have looked at Big Blue Button fairly closely (I actually made an appliance for it ages ago, but never got it finished and it's way too out of date now) and had little to do with OpenMeetings (although had heard of it).

From what I gather they are very similar projects albeit with a slightly different focus and use of technology under the hood. Also AFAIK they started around the same time and are somewhat in competition with one another. So I'm sure that they've robbed feature ideas from one another over the years as many competing open source projects do.

Anyway, if you do find yourself with the time and the energy to have a crack let us know. And in the meantime someone else may come along and have a go at it.

Add new comment