dt's picture

Yes, I'm lazy.  I could download the Turnkey core and lay D7 on it but why would I?!?  You guys know what you are doing.  So any plans for this?

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

I can't speak for the devs but I doubt they'll be doing it. They've got a to-do list a mile long before they start thinking about making an appliance that doesn't use stable software (although in fairness RC2 is probably well stable)

How bout you have a crack at it, and make a patch while you're at it for other like minded souls so you can save them the effort?!

Alon Swartz's picture

We love Drupal (this website uses Drupal), and are eagerly awaiting the stable release of Drupal 7. I doubt that it will be packaged upstream (debian -> ubuntu) and make its way into the Lucid repository, but who knows, we might get lucky.

So, what you can expect is that once it gets released (stable), and we have a little spare time on our hands well release TurnKey Drupal7 (installed from upstream tarball) along side TurnKey Drupal6.

The downside is that there won't be auto-security-updates if we install from the tarball, but seeing as Drupal6 is in universe anyway, there is no guarantee there either.

If "someone" would create a TKLPatch for Drupal7, it would make it easier for us to include it in the official appliance builds. We might even be able to squeeze it into the 11.0 release.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Alon has thrown down the gautlet! Are you ready to take the challenge? :)

dt's picture

I am reading the TKLPatch page understanding what must be done.  I broke my hand today so typing is gonna be slow for a while.

If I do this I may even post a real picture of the cast.  :-)

Jeremy Davis's picture

You should find the documentation for TKLPatch fairly good but if there's any confusion don't be scared to ask. Feedback re docs is always useful too.

If you can install it and get it to work, you can write a patch for it. Basically it's an installation script with the facility to accommodate overlay of preconfigured config files. Beyond the docs, I suggest you also pull apart some of the other patches already supplied by the community.

Adrian Moya's picture

Along with moodle2, both were on my sight for tklpatching. So it's going to happen sooner or later. Once Drupal 7 stable is out, if there's no tklpatch for it, I'll do it. :D

Alon Swartz's picture

But just to be on the safe side in case you missed my reply on Moodle 2, its been done. TurnKey Moodle 11.0 is now based on version 2.0

Adrian Moya's picture

I'll like to do it, but I feel I'm not ready for a high quality tklpatch for this one. Recently I followed a discussion of Alon and other member and I got lost. I really love drupal, but I don't have so much experience, I only have one site running. 

So besides doing the usual wget, untar to /var/www, and maybe the inithooks to change passwords, I feel I'll fall short with the lot of things discussed in this thread. So I would really prefer a drupal professional to push out this patch. So I can also take advantage of your knowledge ;)

dt's picture

Once this was installed I put Drupal 7 on it.  The only thing missing was php5-gd so before you install Drupal 7 run: apt-get install php5-gd

I realize its not the same as creating the script but I just haven't had time.

daboo's picture

Might want to review:  http://drupal.org/node/878778

Jeremy Davis's picture

Because TKL v11.x is based on Ubuntu Lucid so:

Note that Ubuntu 10.04 works "out of the box" and it's PHP 5.3.

applies here. It will be a problem for those who would like to continue to use v2009.10-2 (Hardy based) but there is a workaround. Please note that the instructions are a little old as the repo suggested is now signed.

Tom Mulcahy's picture

So when can we expect to see either an upgrade patch (from 6 to 7) or a new Drupal 7 applicance?

BTW: I love TKL and I am getting to know Drupal!  Keep up the good work!  You guys rock!

Shalom!

Thank you,

Tom

Jeremy Davis's picture

The TKL devs have a huge backload of jobs on their todo list so I don't think it will be released anytime soon. Also due to the fact that Drupal v6 has security updates provided upstream (via Ubuntu), making a new v7 appliance will mean more maintenance work for the dev team.

Having said that it probably will arrive sometime...

John Carver's picture

I'm starting a project that will include FreeSwitch + BlueBox + Plivo + Drupal 7.  If anyone is working on a Drupal 7 appliance, I would like to start with that as a base.  If not, perhaps the first step would be to prepare a Drupal 7 appliance and then add patches for the remainder.  Any suggestions from the experts about the proper approach would be welcomed.  Would you recommend starting with the Drupal 6 appliance and replacing it with Drupal 7, or starting from TurnKey Core and building from scratch the LAMP Stack appliance?

TIA - John

Information is free, knowledge is acquired, but wisdom is earned.

John Carver's picture

Thanks for the offer.  I'm fairly familiar with installing Drupal on Ubuntu.  Where I need help is in learning the TKL development process.  I'm setting up a TurnKey Core on VirtualBox for building patches, and a second vm for testing.  I don't want to step on anyones toes if there is work being done on a Drupal 7 appliance.

Jeremy Davis's picture

So no reason why not IMO.

As for the TKL process. I don't know what other's do but I have a Core machine which is what I use for the actual patch development (and commit to GitHub) and patching of ISOs (I call this DevEnv). I then run a (temporary) TKL appliance that I'm using as the base for the patch (eg LAMP, Core or whatever). I then manually install the software on the temp appliance and write the steps to the conf file (which has it's own dir on DevEnv). Then I rinse and repeat. Once I'm fairly happy that it works as expected I then use the patch to patch an ISO then install form that ISO. I can then use that as a base for further patch improvement and developmen. Since I've started using GitHub (which I upload to at the end of each dev session, even if it is incomplete) I often don't post until it's working as I hope, but previously I often posted a half-finished patch.

Is that what you meant?

John Carver's picture

Yes, that is pretty much the development process I'm setting up.  I have two VirtualBox vm's, one running the latest Core, and the other running the latest version of Drupal6 (so I can do a bit of reverse engineering).  I'll use this machine for testing the installation process and recording the steps needed for the patch.  Once I have the patch setup, I'll apply it to the LAMP appliance to create a patched ISO for testing.

Earlier today, I discovered the drupal6 patch on GitHub and I'm now trying to figure out the correct way to use git to copy (clone) it to my local Core server.  A couple of months ago, I ran across a good introduction to git usage, but I must have forgotten to bookmark it.  Do you know of a useful guide for git beginners?

I tried git clone git://github.com/turnkeylinux/drupal6.git but it returned a fatal error: Could not find Repository turnkeylinux/drupal6

I just want to download the drupal6 patch from github.com/turnkeylinux/turnkey-appliance-sources/appliances/drupal6 but I can't seem to find the correct syntax.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Which I think I should post somewhere. But in the meantime GitHub itself is pretty newb friendly IMO. If you have a GitHub account (and if you don't I'd consider creating one), the easiest way is to browse to the directory and hit the "fork" button (towards the top right of the page). This then copies the git repo to your own public repo (ie forks it). You can then link the Core appliance to your GitHub account and clone it there and push it back to your GitHub as and when you want. Info on all the relevant commands is there on GitHub (it spells it out for you as you go).

Mike Gifford's picture

Interesting..  I didn't realize that TKL was also on GitHub.  Makes sense as everyone else is there too.

I'd expected to see the Drupal 6 version listed here too https://github.com/turnkeylinux

It would have been nice to have seen the D6 version & been able to see how you'd forked it to create the D7 version you posted here - https://github.com/Dude4Linux/drupal7

It's quite possible to run two copies of PHP (5.2 & 5.3) on the same server, I believe, so really there's no reason that there couldn't be a single install that serves both stable releases of Drupal.

Jeremy, how does one go from a GitHub repo to an ISO? Preferably actually a VirtualBox instance? As you know we've talked about ways to port TKL instances between the cloud & VirtualBox before.  I've got a TKL instance (I started with D6 actually) that I just upgraded in the cloud to run D7.  It's a pretty simple upgrade of the LAMP environment.  I can't speak about TKL's config.

Good discussion and John, thanks for pointing back to the more recent thread with the other data in it. 

Jeremy Davis's picture

As John mentions below, much of the official TKL appliance build info is all in one big repo. So unfortunately it's not quite as simple for those ones. You will need to probably manually check the desired code out and rebuild a patch for yourself (or do what John did and just fork the whole lot and remove what you don't want). Hopefully all future development will go into it's own repos but I'm not sure.

As for multiple php versions, there has been a bit of discussion on the forums around that. Have a look here, this thread here may be somewhat relevant too (there are probably other threads as well).

I have updated the TKLPatch application doc page to include installing a patch from a GitHub repo. Have a look at that here. Is that what you meant?

Mike Gifford's picture

Ya, I figured that was the case that it would be difficult.  So a single D6/D7 instance may not be likely.  However, certainly D6 : D7 need to be running PHP 5.2 : PHP 5.3 respectively.

John Carver's picture

I did register an account on GitHub and followed their instructions for setting up a new repo for a Drupal 7 patch.  I had to clone all of Alon's turnkey-appliance-sources since he put everything in one repo, rather than one per appliance.  I've copied the Drupal6 patch into my local repo and started making changes.  Most of the Drupal6 patch should still apply since it's working off the same LAMP base.  I just have to modify the drush and drupal installs in the conf.d/main script.

John Carver's picture

I've released the beta1 version of a TKLPatch to add Drupal 7 to a TurnKey LAMP appliance.

More details are given here:

Please give it a try and let me know what you think.  I'm particularly interested in which additional modules and themes should be added.  I envision a set of profiles in addition to minimal and standard from which the end-user can choose from a list during firstboot.  Drush would then use that profile during site-install.  A development profile would be included for web developers.  Other profiles from drupal.org may also be included, e.g. OpenPublish, OpenPublic, OpenOutReach, etc.

Mike Gifford's picture

Just saw that you already knew about these.  Let me know when you're beta2 is out and I'll give it a whirl.  

Might even just fork it, if it is pretty simple to go from GitHub to VirtualBox.

Add new comment