I'm pleased to announce a spanking brand new release candidate for TurnKey Core 12.0 - the common base for all appliances, based on the rock solid Debian Squeeze (6.0.4). The rumors were true! Hurrah! Hurrah!
This is an RC release, so take it for a spin and let us know what you think. If you come across any issues, please report them. If you have ideas on how to make it better, let us know!
Did you say Debian?
Why yes, yes I did. Here's the back story...
In mid-2010 we released our first ever Debian appliance based on Lenny. In the announcement Liraz discussed whether Debian based appliances are worth the trouble as well as some notes on Ubuntu vs. Debian.
Back then we decided not to release the entire TurnKey library based on Lenny as Squeeze was around the corner, and we were spread quite thin.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago, Liraz and I were discussing the upcoming Ubuntu LTS release, which is scheduled for April. We were deliberating when would be the best time to begin the transition.
During the conversation we revisited the idea of supporting Debian, and decided it was time. We've been wanting to support Debian since TurnKey's inception, and it seems that a significant 59% of users want Debian-based appliances "a lot"!
Rolled up my sleeves
So, I rolled up my sleeves and got to work. It wasn't too long and I had a working TurnKey bootstrap image (102MB ISO, Meta) based on Squeeze. The most annoying part of that was dealing with the non-backwards compatible bootsplash. Turns out that was a good thing, as it forced me to do cleanup, and remove panel options that weren't actually doing anything. How nobody filed a bug on that is beyond me :)
Then I moved onto Core. Upgrading our Live Installer (di-live) was a little boring, but after fixing some bugs and seeing it work, not to mention setup LVM and install the entire OS in under a minute, it put a smile on my face.
After upgrading several key components, fixing bugs (thanks to everyone who submitted bug reports, and Jeremy for his excellent work triaging and keeping the bug tracker up to date), tweaks here and there, and testing, I was a happy camper.
To summarize, there were ups and downs but all in all it was good fun - ask my wife, I updated her on progress every evening whether she wanted to know or not.
But, there is still a long road ahead, and this is only the first milestone.
New and improved signature files: include detailed steps on how to verify image integrity, as well as md5 and sha1 checksums for convenience. Take a look.
Locale improvements: default locale is now set to en_US.UTF-8, updated configuration for compatibility with Squeeze. Freeing up disk space is now performed by localepurge.
Boot splash and loader: upgraded bootsplash for compatibility, removed unused panel options, and tweaked bootloader timeouts.
Live installer (di-live): upgraded for Squeeze compatibility and misc bugfixes.
- Webmin: upgraded to latest upstream release and disabled inline upgrades (managed by APT).
All other changes, bugfixes and tweaks are available in the changelog.
As for the features, not much has changed except for the base distribution.