[9-04-2013] Note: this patch has been abandoned. It is not considered stable and will not be released as an official TKL appliance. See my post here for further details.
[Updated 20-01-2012] Major re-write of patch. A new patch - a new thread! :)
[Updated 30-01-2011] Minor bugfix to resolve this issue.
[Updated 21-10-2010] Just uploaded the latest patch version and edited the details in this post. Some more tweaking could be done, but I think that's me for now...
[Updated 14-10-2010] I have basically rewritten this post and deleted all the old and mostly irrelevant stuff. I have uploaded my latest patch - which completely installs KT! Still some finishing touches required but KT works out of the box! :)
I've been plugging away at this patch for a while now but finally I've had a major breakthrough! Thanks to everyones assistance and encouragment, particularly Adrian, Basil and the Dynamic Duo (TKL devs Alon & Liraz).
This patch will install KnowledgeTree Community Edition (KT-CE) v220.127.116.11 and all of it's dependancies from repositories (standard Ubuntu Lucid + Cannonical partner + KT-CE + Zend Server). This means that in the future as new versions are released this appliance will be able to be fully upgraded using apt-get upgrade. The one dependancy I was having problems with (libmysqlclient15off - which I was using from Karmic and installing as a deb) is now in the Zend Server repo so no dodgey files etc. KT-CE sits on top of a version of Zend Sever which uses php5.2 but as all these packages come from Zend Server's repo I figure that should be ok!?
It no longer includs Basil's LAMP patch as KT happily takes care of it's own dependancies (including Apache2 and MySQL) so there is no real need for it (besides Zend removes standard php and breaks phpMyAdmin).
I have only tested this patch by installing to a running instance of TKL-Core-Lucid beta but I assume it should work for patching an ISO too. I have not tested everything (such as emailing etc).
1) Start Apache2, MySQL and KT:
service apache2 start service mysql start cd /usr/share/knowledgetree-ce ./dmsctl.sh start
2) Browse to https://<appliance-ip>/knowledgetree/ (currently http also works but ideally I think it would be good to force to force https for security - at least for login and the admin area).
3) Log in - KT login remains the default for a clean install - username: admin password: admin
What the patch does so far (in order):
- Sets hostname to 'knowledgetree'. [pre-overlay conf]
- Installs gnupg. [pre-overlay conf]
- Imports and installs KT & Zend apt-keys (uses gnupg) [pre-overlay conf]
- Adds the Cananocal Partner, KnowledgeTree-CE & Zend Server repos to /etc/apt/source.list.d as individual .list files. [pre-overlay conf]
- Installs KT-CE from KT repo (as per usual, auto-installs all dependancies, including Zend Server php5.2) [pre-overlay conf]
- Installs other stuff (postfix, ssl-certs, apache & postfix webmin modules). [pre-overlay conf]
- Create MySQL user, create and populate database. [pre-overlay conf]
- Adds an amended usage.txt to Confconsole output. [overlay]
- Adds other required files (so KT WebUI "Installer" doesn't run) [overlay]
- Adds config files for Postfix, MySQL new secret generation, etc. [overlay]
- Changes ownership of KT doc root to www-data:www-data [post-overlay config]
- Stops Apache2 & MySQL services (so patching finalises cleanly). [post-overlay conf]
- Cleans up apt.[post-overlay conf]
- Apache, MySQL and KT will autostart on boot.
Other things I'd like to do (but may not get to):
- Test emailing - Really should do this!!
- Force https access, at least for login screen and admin pages.
- Set KT-CE root as Apache document root (so KT is available at https://<ip>/ rather than https://<ip>/knowledgetree/) .
- Look at what KT plugins are available which may be useful for TKL community
- Consider what documentation will be required.
- None known currently.
Feedback warmly welcome! So if anyone has anything useful to add, please post :)
Also please note that KnowledgeTree is a pretty huge app and as well as considerable Ubuntu dependancies, it downloads 250MB+ from the KT & Zend repos (about 370MB in total).